CWEE - Information for Students

Read what other students have to say about Cooperative Work Experience Education.

Cooperative Work Experience Education (CWEE) is an educational approach that turns work-based learning experiences into college credit.   Learning occurs on the job - there are no classroom meetings (other than an initial orientation) and you do not have to be enrolled in other courses in order to enroll in a CWEE course.  You can earn up to 8 units in one semester, for a total of 16 units that apply to an Associate Degree and transfer to 4-year Universities. 

You must be working in order to earn college credit through CWEE. You can work in a full-time or part-time paid job, work as a volunteer, be self-employed or work for a family business. If you are unemployed but want to earn CWEE credit as a volunteer, your CWEE instructor can help you find a volunteer position that relates to your college and career goals and aligns with your college schedule. Each unit that you wish to earn requires that you document at least 75 hours of work as a paid employee (or 60 hours as a volunteer) over the course of the semester, in addition to completing one learning objective.

You will have documentation requirements, in addition to working on your learning objectives. The specific documents, their general due dates, and the point values assigned to each of them can be found on the "Assignment Tracking Worksheet". 

There are two types of CWEE: "Occupational" Work Experience, and "General" Work Experience.

  • Occupational WE courses are "196" and "197" courses, and are found in the following disciplines: Administration of Justice (ADJ); Agriculture (AGR); Alcohol and Other Drug Studies (AOD); Art (ART); Automotive (AUT); Business Office Technology (BOT); Business (BUS); Culinary Arts (CAM); Child Development (CDV); Computer Science (CSC); Education (EDU); Fire Science (FSC); Health (HLH); Human Services (HUS); Journalism (JRN); Music (MUS); Natural Resources (NRS); Spanish (SPN); Sustainable Technology (SST) and Theater (THE). You would enroll in an Occupational WE course if your work relates to your education and career goals. For example, a Business major working as a retail clerk would enroll in BUS 196, and a child care worker majoring in Child Development would enroll in CDV 196. You can earn between 1-8 units in one semester; each unit requires the completion of 1 learning objective and 75 hours (if paid - about 5 hours/week) or 60 hours (if volunteer, about 4 hours/week).  So, 4 units requires the completion of 4 learning objectives and 300 hours (if paid, or 240 as a volunteer).
  • General Work Experience courses are CED 195 and CED 50 (CED 195 applies to the Associate Degree and transfers to 4-year colleges; CED 50 applies to the Associate Degree but does NOT transfer). You would enroll in General WE if your job does not relate to  your education or career goals.


  • Enroll in the appropriate Occupational or General WE course by using Web Advisor. Choose the course location based on where you work, not where you live or attend classes (if you live in Lakeport but work in Ukiah, choose a Ukiah section).
  • Attend an orientation session. Orientations occur in Ukiah, Lakeport, Willits and Covelo
  • Review the "Frequently Asked Questions" before attending the orientation.

How to find us:

We are located in room 720 in the Lowery Student Center, across the hall from the Little Theater (see maps, below).